Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Celebrity TBI

You know why there are conflicting reports of Natasha Richardson's status in the hospital right now?  Because that poor family has no fucking clue what to say.  And they shouldn't have to.  All they are concerned with is if their loved one will miraculously come back.  There is no room for any other sense in the world except to see her come back.  My understanding is she is lying there still, hooked up to the trinity of life support: breathing tube, feeding tube, IV drip.  Her eyes are closed -- her body there to touch -- her soul and thoughts, far off in another universe.  But hopefully her family is there communicating to her anyway, singing to her, talking to her, because most certainly - something in her is hearing and receiving.  It's only Day 3.  Dad opened his eyes on Day 3.  I wanted to throw a party.  And we could tell people -- "he woke up!"  Which, if the news was pounding down our door I'd probably tell them.  Then I'd get the hideous slap in the face -- ooops, no no, he didn't wake up -- there is no response to "wiggle your toes", "squeeze my hand", "blink your eyes..." therefore, no cognitive function i.e. "brain dead."  Perhaps Natasha is in this place.  Which leaves you with even less answers -- you see the body moving, perhaps there's the persistent fevers, sweating, thrashing, moaning... and this can go on for a long time -- but it's indescribable, scary, and mysterious.  Here is your loved one in a persistent vegetative state.  They are far from woken up.  And there are no answers as to when or if they will -- but their moving body and their open eyes give you more hope, you can look into them and try to communicate and penetrate the brain.  But the brain persists to not respond, and the verdict of "brain dead" is more palpable.  So when do you stop hoping?  When do you give a verdict? In this case - is it when the paparazzi hassle you until you feel forced to say something? Or more familiar, when insurance starts knocking down your door demanding the next best move -- pull "the plug" and see what happens: let body die of disease and infection, with two weeks to hope it may reeeally wake up -- OR leave in "plug," keep hoping, keep paying, and sustain the loved ones body.  It's unpredictable, it's terrible, it's life.  I know that's vague - but there are no right answers, there is NO timeline, and there should NOT be any pressure on the fragile family right now.  They'll know in their hearts what decision to make - and what if, if any action should be taken.  I never gave up on my Dad.  He told me not to.  And no doubt he would have told me if I was supposed to.  When the day for death-decisions was forced upon us by statistics, by insurance, by neurologists, by lack-of-belief, I knew when I looked in his eyes the first day he opened them, that this decision would not have to be made.  There was a knot, in my heart, pulsing to me, that no - this decision, would not have to be made.  And then he woke up.  He made me believe 9 months ago... there's reason to keep believing when he comes home on Sunday. 

My heart goes out to Natasha's family.  I feel so deeply sad for them and this wondrous pain they are suffering.  My hopes are they will give it time, ignore all the outside forces pressuring them, and listen to Natasha, and listen to their hearts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment