Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dear Dodgers,

Thank you for making my Dad normal again.  If it wasn't for your spirit, your energy, your presence, your sportsmanship, your effort, your fun, your team... I wouldn't be able to experience a few beautiful hours with my "father-that-was."  This evening's game was truly an amazing escape and perspective.  Not only were we in a "help-me-FREE-zone" for more than 3 and half hours, but I had a night of actual hope.  Hope that I haven't had since I first made real eye contact with my Dad the day he opened his eyes from his coma.  That opening that made me see through the brain injured body and into the soul of David Nemer.  That happened tonight.  It happened when he cheered "OH YEAH!!!!!!!" for the triple home run hit by Casey Blake, it happened when he mustered the energy to STAND UP for the stupid wave!, it happened when he screamed, "WHOA! WHATTA CATCH!" to Eithier's awesome out, it happened when he enthusiastically sang "take me out to the ballgame" with his arm swung over my shoulder, and it happened when he offered up high fives to myself and the few fans around us when the Dodgers beat the Mets 5 to 3 at the end of the 9th.  It was all around wonderful.  Thank you Dear Dodgers, there's nothing blue about you.  I've always loved you since I was a baby sitting on my Dad's lap high up in the blue seats over home plate, but I love ya even more with each passing season.  Your best fan, Anne.

No comments:

Post a Comment