Sunday, May 24, 2009

I'm running a Marathon

I've pinned my bib to the hideous yellow "singlet" - I'm number 14650.  I've eaten copious amounts of carbohydrates (love guilt-free fettucini.)  I've laid out my shoes, shorts, sports bra, watch, shoe tags, and iPod shuffle which has been carefully crafted with melodies to sing me through the many many miles... I've even decorated my singlet with my name and a couple other special names in bright, red permanent marker.  I laid out my hat and a few flowers to stick in my ponytail for personal flair.  (why not right?)  I'm now lying in bed, willing sleep to come before my awakening at 4am, and I have NO IDEA what to expect tomorrow.  It's the most daunting, overwhelming, exciting, mysterious, scary, wonderful, humbling feeling.  It's reminiscent of the night before I left for Europe... I didn't really know where I was going to end up, who I would meet, how alone I would be, if I'd end up in any trouble.  It's also the feeling like before I went on stage in As You Like It last year... that nervous wonderful feeling of not knowing how the scene is going to turn out, and knowing I can do it and that I have my lines and everything down... but what if something trips me up and I mess up?  It's also like the night before I performed as the Lilac Fairy in Sleeping Beauty -- my last and best ballet performance ever.  I didn't know I wanted that part, I didn't think I would ever get it, and then I did, and the music was amazing and beautiful, and then it came time to perform.  And I remember curling up in the fetal position in my little twin bed the night before the show, trembling with nerves and feeling the lasting sting on my toes from that days rehearsal in pointe shoes, and envisioning myself rolling off my pointe when I piqued, or landing hard and wobbly out of a pirouette, or just falling ass first in the middle of the stage in my purple tutu.  Those scary, anxious feelings of the unknown... how will my body perform tomorrow?  How will my mind perform?  What will I think about?  What will I feel?  The "what-ifs" are endless.  And yet, here I find myself lying in bed put before a task that I set up for myself 8 months ago, and experiencing all those anxious feelings I've felt for tasks of my choice in the past -- and I get a little comfort in knowing, yeah, I made it through those experiences - and they were nothing less than fucking glorious.  So whose to say tomorrow won't be?  Here goes 26.2 miles.   

2 comments:

  1. I'll be thinking about your during the race my dear cousin. I'm so proud of you!!!! I can't wait to read about how glorious it feels to cross the finish line. You are amazing. I love you! angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Babe, I'm proud of you. I expect to see a New Mercedes in the driveway of Royal Blvd. Isn't that the First Place Prize?

    Whether you finish first or 50,000th, I'm proud of you for so many things you've done in your 1/4 century. You are a confident, competent, intelligent woman of the new millenium (2009+), just as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. Not many girls can say that. Even if I had just met you, I can tell you have wonderful parents. YOU don't happen by accident.

    I admire how you and Barbara have held up under this incredible personal load in dealing with these countless challenges with your Dad. Many people would have split the scene, but not you guys. Maybe it's 'cuz the Dodger tickets are in his name? Just kidding of course.

    I couldn't be more proud of you if you were my own daughter. Way to go, Toots. Philipes sandwiches, cole slaw, pickles, lemonade and pie are on me. You earned it!

    ReplyDelete