Friday, February 20, 2009

Curious Case

[pretend this is yesterday, Monday, when reading. and then pretend it's last Thursday.  I really need to get more on top of this!]

I just sat down and looked out the window - the sun had just cracked through and yet, rain was pouring down. I seriously checked the roof to see if someone was spraying a hose because it was the oddest phenomenon.  I was blinded by the sun, yet these huge drops of rain were sprinkling down.  I raced to each window peeking out to see if there was a rainbow - I stepped outside but it was raining too hard and I had just blow dried my hair.  I didn't see a rainbow - but I'm sure there was one somewhere!  Hhhm - oh well, on my solo trip to Bakersfield two weeks ago I saw FOUR rainbows, one of them I was chasing all the way through the grapevine.  It was really incredible.  What was my point of all this?  Hmm. Just an odd phenomenon I guess - make of it what you will.

The Oscars are stupid.  It makes me really think how I would use my celebrity if I in fact got my acting drive into gear and really made it (which by the way won't be happening via USC's MFA program, the missing piece of disappointing news from last week).  First, I would totally pull a Sharon Stone and wear something from Gap and make it look stunning.  I am so so so disgusted even more this year by all the coverage of the fashion.  Not the fashion itself, I understand that there's a time and place for glamour and it cannot be ignored, but the coverage of it is appalling.  The fact that Sarah Jessica Parker's gown is deemed by these tacky, gaudy, entertainment "journalists" as "such a huge disaster" - it makes me want to puke to see where some people's priorities lie.  But I know I'm not alone in this, and I know it'll never change, and I really don't have the energy or heart to devote much more bitching to the whole thing - it just is curious and hideous distraction from reality.  Or is it the reality of it itself that's so ridiculous?

(I started this little paragraph last Thursday after seeing the movie.)  What an odd reflection of reality Benjamin Button was.  To have a life's worth of memories and experiences, trapped in a body too young to contain them, and the confusion of it all competing with your environment and people around you telling you differently than what your brain believes - sounds awfully familiar.  Benjamin Button basically had a brain injury - his brain cells told his body to age backward (or was it that clock Mr. Cake made??? I didn't quite get the connection) - and so Ben Button appeared an average old guy to everyone around him, but his mind was telling him the opposite truth.  I wonder what my Dad would think if he watched that movie... I can't imagine.  Regardless, it left me sad, achey, and depressed.  It also left me annoyed because seriously - why did they need the old Cate Blanchett dying in the hospital with Katrina hitting outside the window?!  The movie would have been dramatically improved if it had just been the story itself - not some cross between Titanic and Forrest Gump.  

No comments:

Post a Comment