Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Still Cloudy

The rain went away despite how much I appreciated it.  I love the way the clouds force a sense of coziness whether you want to stay in or not.  I enjoy that.  Monday, after lying on the couch with my mom all afternoon watching Sex and the City's in front of the fire and eating leftover Chinese food - I got up to make brownies from scratch - baking on a cloudy day is so theraputic and lovely.  We deserved that day of relaxation no doubt, especially after the three hour drive in the downpour from Bakersfield.  anyway - my point of tonight's entry was not to linger on the past weekend - but to ponder the disappointments of today.  I'm sure you're just itching to read on now with such a promising introduction like that.  Today was not all bad, but was bookended with unfortunate circumstances that just leave you feeling a little empty inside, as if we need to be drained any more.

Let me start by saying, with the clouds cleared and the sun shining this morning, I woke up with a bright energy - excited to take the dogs for an extra long stroll.  My ankle didn't hurt so much, and I even broke into a little jog every few minutes.  I decided to take the pooches to the stream up in the hills from our house.  It's typical that we run into a dear neighbor named Burt when we walk up Imperial Ave around 7:15am in the morning.  Dad formed a sweet relationship with this neighbor over the years - Burt almost considered my father like a son.  He lived alone, except for his sweet little overweight Yorkie - Geoffrey.  Geoffrey always accompanied Burt every where he went.  And Burt always had dog biscuits in every pocket of his coat on the off chance we ran into him with Melvin.  When Burt and Geoffrey first met Melvin and my Dad about 8 years ago, Burt used to make fun of Melvin saying he ate black jelly beans cause of the spots on Melly's tongue.  He would leave little surprise bags of black jelly beans and a bottle of scotch for my Dad as just a kind gesture every now and then on the porch.  Dad was there for Burt and Geoffrey when Burt's wife developed Alzheimer's, and later died about 4 years ago.  And the man and his dog continued to grow old together, alone.  In his old age, Burt doesn't quite understand the complexity of why my Dad hasn't been around lately on our walks or to check in on him.  And I hadn't seen Burt and Geoffrey in quite a while.  Well - this morning as we were coming up Imperial, Melvin spotted Burt's gold Lincoln continental car parked in it's usual spot.  He instantly perks up, and I let him off the leash and watch him race to Burt, then proceed to pounce on him and sniff his pockets knowing well where the treats are stashed.  Jenny, stuck to her leash, has no idea what this exciting encounter is.  I look to see if Geoffrey pops out from the car... but there's no Geoffrey.  I greet Burt, and cautiously ask... "is Geoffrey at home?"  "Coyotes got him."  He says simply.  "oh... Burt.  I'm so so sorry."  "yeah - it was pretty terrible"  his voice cracks.  I didn't know what to say.  My heart broke a little bit.  "are you thinking of getting another?"  I ask... trying to be optimistic.  "I gotta get better at walking them first."  he says.  Interesting response.  I wonder why on earth little Geoffrey was out in coyote range late at night.  The wheels in my head instantly start turning, trying to think of a way to be helpful to this man.  Maybe if he adopts a dog, by the time Dad gets back, Dad could help take him on walks every morning.  Or maybe they could meet us at that same spot every day at 7am and we could walk the new dog with Mel and Jenny and then drop it back off with Burt.  Maybe this could be Dad's new routine or job.  Maybe... maybe... ahh how do I explain that Geoffrey died? ahhhhhhh. too much.  Meanwhile, Melvin keeps pouncing.  "he's gonna clean me out!!!"  Burt says cheerily, as he searches for more dog biscuits, leftover from the Geoffrey days I assume.  "and whose this?  She's too big to be a snowflake..."  I laugh.  "This is Jenny...  Say hi Jenny!  meet Burt!!! Burt always has the best treats!!!"   Burt searches his pockets more.  "I'd give ya one, Snowflake but Melvin's cleaned me out!  I outta call him Ex-lax!"  I give him an awkward laugh.  "Cause he cleaned me out!!!"  Burt repeats.  "Aww haha, that's okay."  "well you all have a nice day now."  Burt says.  and he starts to walk away.  "you too, Burt!! Melvin, say thank you to Burt!!!"  But Burt's already started to wander away, tuned out.  And Snowflake and Ex-Lax and I attempt to continue on our walk.  I couldn't enjoy it though, the crisp, freshness of the morning was tainted, and we turned and headed for home. 

you know - that's enough for tonight.  I'll save the other bookend for tomorrow -- who knows, things may have changed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment