Wednesday, January 28, 2009

? story

I'm at the office, a bag of spinach on my blue ankle. It's not better yet. And I want so desperately to run my half-marathon on Sunday. I had it all planned out with my group - run 13.2 miles through the Huntington Beach SurfCity race, then veg out, and drink and consume the amount of calories just burned off at Uncle Smooth's sports bar in Long Beach while watching the Super Bowl. doesn't that sound fun? well who knows if it'll happen now. :( i'm optimistic, but my phsyical therapists aren't.

I had a little cry this morning in the car, on the way to the office. I was singing along to Wicked, and Melvin had his paw linked over my arm while I was driving - he always likes to hold hands in the car. (we had just dropped off Jenny for a bath - she's white - didn't really consider the grooming part of the bargain when adopting her). Anyway, passing by the Hollywood Way exit off the 134 made me remember all the times I'd follow behind Dad's yellow corvette on the way to breakfast at Western Bagel. No matter what, we'd always try and squeeze in a bagel morning once a week. He'd always get poppy-seed, not toasted, with lox spread and red onions. We'd have coffee, chat for about 30 minutes - and go our separate ways to work. I miss that.

Yesterday marked exactly 7 months since the "incident." That's the nice little, consise word the medical world uses to signify the moment your world was rocked and pain ensued. The night before Dad left for Bakersfield, he was studying the little chalkboard hanging in our kitchen which always had the date and schedule for the day:

"Thursday, January 22nd, 2009
David and Angela to CNS
10am
Barbara - USC
Annie - J-nex"

Dad would read this everytime passing through the kitchen, as if it was a new thing even though nothing ever changed on it but the date. He'd question it everytime, "David and Angela to CNS?!!!! that's bullshit." Except for some reason that evening, he made no verbal comment -but erased the schedule, and left the date. I watched him pick up the piece of chalk and slowly draw a big "?". I kid you not. He drew a question mark. and it remains on the bored. The ideal symbol for the past 7 months, and the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment